Apple-Cranberry Filled Filo Tarts
12 apples, peel, core and thinly slice (use a variety of sweet and tart)
2/3 cup dried cranberries, lightly chopped
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs. flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 box filo sheets (be sure to defrost on counter according to package directions)
Heat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Use a muffin pan with regular to large size cups.
2. Combine apples, cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, sugar, and flour in a bowl; mix well. Heat in pan over medium heat until apples are soft; about 15-20 minutes. This can be done ahead of time. You can re-heat for a minute once the shells are cooked.
3. Lay filo out on counter and cover with a clean dish towel to keep sheets from drying out.
4. Melt butter.
5. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush one side (½) of the top sheet (You do not need to cover the entire sheet; using too much butter will cause the sheet to fall apart.) Fold the dry side of the sheet onto the buttered side; fold the sheet in half again (it will now be a quarter of the size of the regular sheet). Place sheet in muffin tin making sure the sheet touches sides and bottom of the tin. Don’t worry about breakage; the additional sheets will cover any splits. Repeat with one additional sheet. You will have 8 layers per cup.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
7. Spoon the warm apple filling into each cup.
These can be served hot or at room temperature. You could also cook the shells ahead of time and fill with the warm filling right before serving.