Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Egg and Potato Crust
2 pounds breakfast sausage, crumbled (choose which flavor you prefer)
5 cups shredded potatoes, (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cup small curd cottage cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Colby cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Spray the bottom of a 9” x 12” glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Spread potatoes evenly over the bottom of the dish. Pour butter over the potatoes.
3. Note: If using frozen potatoes, be sure to defrost and drain any excess liquid.
4. Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes. While they are baking, start preparing the rest of the ingredients.
5. In a skillet, crumble and cook sausage. Drain fat and set aside.
6. In a large bowl, scramble eggs using a hand mixer.
7. Add onion and cottage cheese and pepper. Mix by hand. Add cheddar cheese. Mix by hand until cheese is distributed evenly throughout mixture.
8. Spread the sausage over the potatoes.
9. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage.
10. Sprinkle the Colby cheese over the egg mixture.
11. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Be sure to not over-bake or the eggs casserole will be a bit dry. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
12. Serve and enjoy!
TIP: This casserole freezes well. Cut leftovers into single portions. Thaw and microwave to re-heat.