Wild Rice, Vegetable and Chicken Casserole
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, 1/4” slices
4 carrots, thin round slices
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
4 chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked wild rice
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups cheese, shredded (cheddar and Colby mix)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. In a skillet, sauté chicken in oil until cooked through (about 8-10 minutes). Remove chicken from pan, let cool then shred.
3. Add onions, celery and carrots to the skillet and sauté until the carrots begin to soften; about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
4. Add chicken to the pan, stir then remove from heat.
5. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Once butter begins to boil, stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
6. Slowly pour in chicken broth while you continue to stir. I would suggest mixing with a wooden spoon using the back of the spoon to break any lumps.
7. Add 3 cups of the shredded cheese mix to the pot, one cup at a time. Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
8. Spoon half of the cooked rice (both brown and wild) into a 9” x 13” glass baking dish.
9. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the rice.
10. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the rice and chicken mixture.
11. Repeat with the remaining rice, chicken mixture and cheese sauce.
12. Top with the remaining cheddar/Colby cheese.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
14. Serve and enjoy!