Creamy Carbonara with Asparagus and Mushrooms
|"The touch of cream compliments the bacon |
and asparagus ~ fantastic!"
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 ½” pieces*
8 ounces fresh mushrooms - quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
8 ounces fettuccine noodles (or gluten free)
1/2 cup real bacon bits (or cooked bacon chopped)
3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
2 egg yokes
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Depending on how you cook the vegetables you may want to start this beforehand. Timing is important in this recipe. (See step 4-6)
2. Mix egg yolks, heavy cream, cheese and parsley in a bowl. Set aside.
3. You can either bake or sauté the asparagus and mushrooms. I prefer baking.
a. Baked: Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix oil, asparagus and mushrooms. Pepper well and salt to taste. Spread mixture on baking sheet and cook for 20-25 minutes.
b. Sauté: Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Toss in asparagus and mushrooms; pepper well and salt to taste. Sauté for 5-8 minutes until asparagus is bright.
4. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
5. Heat the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat (2 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
6. Add asparagus, mushrooms, egg mixture and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to the pan; lightly toss with wooden spoon. Add pasta and toss well.
7. Serve and enjoy!
* To remove the fibrous part of the asparagus stalk, hold each end of the stalk and bend. It will naturally break off at the right point.