Creamy Tomato Soup with Tortellini and Fresh Spinach
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes (If you don’t have petite diced, give them quick chop)
4 Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
12 ounces cheese tortellini
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1. In a large stock pot, sauté onions in oil, over medium heat, until tender. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté for about 1 minute longer.
2. Sprinkle flour into pan and mix.
3. Pour broth into pan while mixing.
4. Add canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and tomato paste; mix well.
5. Bring mixture to a boil and add tortellini. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-11 minutes (until tortellini are al dente).
6. Slowly add the cream, mix; then add the spinach. Simmer for 3 minutes.
7. Add the basil, stir and remove from heat.
8. Spoon into dishes and top with Parmesan (or Parmigiano-Reggiano) cheese.