Hearty Mushroom and Chicken Stew
This past weekend our farmer's market had some fabulous fresh mushrooms. I went a little crazy and bought a bag full, headed home, and created this stew. Sauteing the vegetables brings out their rich flavors and the touch of cream adds a smoothness to the dish. Chock full of flavor and texture; you're sure to love every bite!
|“Chock full of fresh mushrooms and tender chicken. A healthy stew that is|
great for a cold night or rainy day!”
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded or cubed
Salt and pepper
3 Tbs. olive oil
5 celery ribs (1 1/2-2 cups), cut into 1/4” slices
2 medium onions quarter and sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 -1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 zucchini (8”), cut into 1/4” slices
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
5 Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
2 teaspoons thyme
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon marjoram
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 Tbs. corn starch diluted in 3 Tbs. cold water
2/3 cup heavy cream
Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Place chicken in a glass baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Cut into 1/2" cubes; set aside.
2. In a large skillet; sauté celery, onion and red peppers in olive oil until tender. About 12-15 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and garlic to the skillet and sauté for about 5-8 minutes longer.
4. In a large stock pot, combine chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, thyme, oregano, and marjoram. Bring to a boil.
5. Add vegetable mixture and chicken to the pot. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add diluted corn starch and heavy cream, stir and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
7. Stir in fresh basil.
8. Serve and enjoy!