Dried Fig and Gouda Topped Chicken in Pastry
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1 box puff pastry sheets
16 slices of Gouda cheese, 1" x 1"
4 dried figs, boiled and diced or 1/2 cup fig jam
1 tablespoon milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Cut the chicken breasts in half, then horizontally across so you have 16 thin slices. Season with rosemary, salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet, sauté chicken in olive oil until just done. Do not overcook since it will have additional cooking time in the oven.
3. Lay pastry sheet out on wooden cutting board and divide into 8 sections. (Box comes with 2 sheets so you will have 16 total sections.)
4. Place a heaping teaspoon of fig onto the center of each pastry section. Lay a slice of Gouda over the fig. Lay a piece of chicken on the cheese. Pull pastry sides up, being careful not to tear the pastry, and pinch closed. Repeat for all pieces of chicken.
5. Place pastries, seam side down, on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Mix egg and milk. Brush onto each pastry.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!