Kale, Chicken and White Bean Soup
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, chopped into large pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
5 cups baby kale, chopped
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cans white beans (navy, cannellini, great northern)
15-20 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup water or chicken broth
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Pepper to taste
1. Bake chicken breasts in covered glass dish (50 minutes at 350 degrees). Let cool for 15 minutes. Shred with two forks. Set aside.
2. In large deep pot, sauté onions in oil until soft; add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
3. Add kale and sauté for about 2-3 minutes; until kale brightens.
4. Add chicken, broth, Italian seasonings, parsley and pepper. Mix and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
5. Add beans, stir and simmer for a few minutes until beans are warmed.
6. Serve with crispy bread.
*If you would like a creamier broth, add beans during step #4. Let the soup cool a bit and slowly stir in 1 cup heavy cream (room temperature) to soup before serving.