Lentil and Kale Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
6 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered (I used red and yellow)
1 cup mushrooms, halved and sliced (optional)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon coriander
4 cups lentils, (brown, red, green, or a mixture)
1. In a large stock pot, sauté onions and celery until they begin to soften.
2. Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
3. Add wine; bring liquid to a boil. Add stock and bring to a low boil.
4. Add kale, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce and bay leaf. Stir, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add paprika, basil, coriander and lentils. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Variation: A ground beef or chicken to this soup for an added protein.