Masala Soup with Lentils, Kale and Rice
“The rice and lentils make for a great texture in this flavorful light creamy broth!”
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
6 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 large tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
4 cups lentils, (brown, red, green, or a mixture)
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
Note: Prepare your choice of rice while soup is cooking.
1. In a large stock pot, saute onions and celery until they begin to soften.
2. Add garlic and saute for a minute longer.
3. Add wine; bring liquid to a boil. Add stock and bring to a low boil.
4. Add kale, diced tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, and bay leaf. Stir, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add coriander, paprika and lentils. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes; until lentils are softened.
6. Stir in rice and return to a simmer.
7. Turn off the heat. Stir in the whipping cream.
8. Serve and enjoy!