Rich and Creamy Chicken Lasagna
4 chicken breasts, shredded
6 large red peppers, roasted
9-12 lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (optional)
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
6 cups fresh spinach, chopped (or 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cans diced tomatoes (I prefer the ones with Italian seasonings)
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 cups feta, crumbled
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
10 ounces goat cheese
2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Heat oven to 350 degrees F
Suggestion: Steps 1 & 2 can be done a day before if you would like to save time.
1. Place chicken into a glass baking dish; cover with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes. Cool, shred chicken and set aside.
2. Slice peppers in half and remove stem and seeds. Lay, cut side down, on baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Broil in oven until skins blacken (this will not affect the meat of the pepper). Remove from oven and place peppers in a zip lock bag for 30 minutes. They will sweat during this time which will make the skins easier to remove. Remove skin and set aside.
3. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Once done, refill pot with cool water to cover the noodles; set aside. (This will keep noodles from sticking together.)
4. In a large skillet, sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil until they soften. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to pan and sauté for about a minute more.
5. Add spinach, diced tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, oregano, and parsley to the pan. Stir to combine.
6. Add shredded chicken; stir, and simmer for 25 minutes.
7. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter on medium heat until it bubbles and starts to brown. While stirring butter with wooden spoon, add flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Continue mixing.
8. Add milk and goat cheese. Continue mixing until the cheese is melted. Once the sauce starts to thicken, remove from heat.
9. Spray the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-stick spray.
10. Place three lasagna noodles lengthwise in the dish. If they don’t completely cover the length of the pan, cut an additional noodle to place along the end.
11. Spread 1/3 of the chicken/spinach mixture over the noodles. Spoon 1/4 of the cheese sauce over the chicken mixture. Lay 1/3 of the red peppers over the sauce; and sprinkle 1/3 of the feta cheese over the peppers.
12. Repeat above step for two more layers.
13. Cover the top layer with lasagna noodles. Spoon remaining cheese sauce over the top and cover with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
14. Bake for 45 minutes. If top starts to brown two much you can cover with foil.
15. (Tip: Place the baking dish on a sheet pan to catch any drips. Spray the foil with non-stick spray.)