Roasted Butternut Squash, Chicken and Quinoa Stew
1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (You can purchase this pre-done in most grocery stores.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut into 2” strips (If you prefer darker meat you can use thighs.)
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. On a large baking pan, toss butternut squash with olive oil. Spread out the squash evenly, salt & pepper to taste, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit.
2. In a large stew pot, sauté chicken and onions in olive oil, on medium heat, until chicken is cooked and onions are softened.
3. Add garlic to the pot and sauté for about a minute more.
4. Pour in chicken broth, oregano and tomatoes. Stir.
5. Using the back of a spatula; press down on half of the cooked squash to lightly mash. Using the front of the spatula; scoop all of the squash into the pot. Stir and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
6. Bring to a boil, add the quinoa then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes (until quinoa is cooked.)
7. Stir in parsley and serve!