Sautéed Kale, Mushroom and Creamy Cauliflower Lasagna
|"The few steps in this recipe are worth the time."|
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 teaspoon thyme,
1 bunch baby kale, ribs removed and chopped (you can also purchase pre-chopped in a bag)
2 cups ricotta cheese
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. flour
6 cups cauliflower, florets removed and chopped
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse and refill pot with cold water to cover noodles.
2. In a large skillet, sauté onions, mushrooms, and thyme, on medium heat, until onions begin to soften; about 8 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 of the garlic and sauté for a minute more.
4. Add the kale, cover and sauté for about 4 minutes; stir and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, egg and parsley. Set aside.
7. In a deep pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add remaining garlic and sauté for about 1 minute over medium heat. Add flour, stir to create a roux.
8. Add the broth/water and cauliflower bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Cauliflower will become soft.
9. Mash cauliflower with flat potato masher. The sauce will be a bit chunky.
10. Add cream and blue cheese to mixture, mix and simmer until sauce begins to thicken.
11. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
12. Spray the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-stick spray.
13. Lay three lasagna noodles on the bottom of the dish. Spread 1/2 of the mushroom mixture over the noodles. Dollop 1/2 of the ricotta cheese over the mushroom mixture. Pour 1/3 of the cauliflower sauce over the mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over sauce.
14. Repeat another layer.
15. Lay last layer of noodles over the mixture and pour remaining sauce over the top. Use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly.
16. Sprinkle remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the top.
17. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. If the top begins to brown too much, cover with aluminum foil. TIP: Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray and it won’t stick to the cheese.
18. Serve and enjoy!