Kibbi be Saniah – Syrian Meatloaf
|“Serve as an entrée, appetizer, or side dish. |
You can top with Greek yogurt or tzatziki sauce for a little twist.”
1 1/4 wheat, finely crushed
2 lb. ground lamb, beef, or turkey, ground
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
25 (approx.) pine nuts
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. lamb, beef, or turkey, ground
1/3 cup pine nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a large bowl, soak wheat in water for 30-45 minutes. Be sure the water level is 3” above the dry wheat.
2. While wheat is soaking, prepare filling. In a large skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil until onion softens. Add filling meat, salt and pine nuts. Sauté until the meat is cooked through.
3. In a large bowl combine, the 2 lbs. of meat, onion salt, pepper and soaked wheat. Mix with hands until all ingredients are combined well.
4. In a 11” x 14” glass baking dish, spread half of the meat and wheat mixture. Press down well to ensure it is evenly spread.
5. Spread the filling mixture over the meat layer.
6. Spread the remaining half of the meat and wheat mixture over the top of the filling layer. Press to ensure it is evenly spread.
7. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal rows about 1 ½” wide across the dish. Be sure to cut at least 3/4 of the way through to the bottom of the dish.
8. Turn tray and cut diagonal rows about 1/1/2” wide in the opposite direction to create diamond shapes.
9. Place a pine nut in the center of each diamond.
10. Bake for 50-60 minutes; until the top is brown and begins to crisp a bit.
11. Serve and enjoy!