Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew
1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef*
1 can black beans
1 medium onion, chopped into large pieces
1 Tbs. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
6 Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water or chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves
2 sweet potatoes (7"), peeled and diced into 1/2” cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Brown meat in a large skillet, drain and place in crock pot.
2. Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat. When onions begin to soften add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add mixture to crock pot.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato sauce, water/broth, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaf to crock pot.
4. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours; the potatoes should be softened. You can reduce heat to low to keep the stew warm.
5. Spoon into bowls and top with cheese.
*If you choose to prepare without meat, double the amount of beans in the recipe.