Zucchini, Potato and Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese Bake
2 zucchinis, thinly sliced rounds
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced rounds
2 potatoes, thinly sliced rounds
5 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (these tend to have less seeds)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, cut in half then thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed then chopped
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Slice all vegetables.
2. In a skillet, sauté onion in olive oil until it softens.
3. Add garlic, thyme and basil. Sauté for about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
4. Layer 1/2 of the veggies in a glass baking dish. Lightly salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the onion and garlic mixture over the veggies. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the mixture.
5. Repeat a second layer with the remaining veggies and cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 until cheese is bubbly and brown.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray and it won’t stick to the cheese.