Ale Roast With Vegetables and Thyme
5 pounds chuck roast, bone in
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 Tbs. ground pepper
4 Tbs. olive oil
3 large onions, halved and sliced
1 shallot, minced
1 lb. bag of baby carrots, (or 4 large carrots, thickly sliced)
3 bay leaves
5 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bottle of ale (Sierra Nevada or your favorite)
3 cups beef stock
2 Tbs. instant coffee
1/4 cup freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Season roast with sea salt and pepper on both sides.
2. In a large skillet, sear all sides of the roast.
3. Place onions in the bottom of a crock pot and put the roast on top.
4. Add carrots, then potatoes.
5. Add bay leaves and fresh thyme sprigs.
6. Pour ale and beef stock over top.
7. Add instant coffee.
8. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
9. Remove and plate the roast and vegetables. Spoon au jus over the meat.
10. Serve and enjoy!
Gravy Option (If you prefer a thicker gravy to au jus)
1. In a saucepan, heat 2 Tbs. butter and 3 Tbs. flour over medium heat until flour begins to brown.
2. Pour in 2-3 cups of the au jus from the crock pot.
3. Be sure to stir constantly to break down flour lumps.
4. Cook for 5-7 minutes; until gravy thickens.