Sausage, Pepper and Onion Stuffed Chicken
|"Each bite bursts with the savory flavor of sausage, |
peppers and onions!"
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup ground sausage (mild or spicy)
1/2 cup onion, loosely chopped
1/2 cup green, red or mixed peppers, diced
4 slices cheddar cheese, 2” x 1” x 1/8” slices (optional)
1 egg, scrambled
4-6 tbsp. bread crumbs (I prefer Panko; gluten free skip this step)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a large skillet cook the ground pork until done. Drain off excess fat.
2. Add onions and peppers to the pork and sauté until the onions soften (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside.
3. Lay each chicken breast on a cutting board and slice across to form a “pocket” (as you would slice a hamburger roll).
4. Open each breast and stuff with 1/4 of the sausage mixture. Lay one slice of cheddar cheese over the sausage mixture. (optional)
5. Close the breast and secure with two toothpicks.
6. Place breasts in glass baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
7. Brush egg over each breast then sprinkle 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons of bread crumbs onto each breast.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
9. For a great presentation, place on cutting board, remove toothpicks, carefully slice into three strips and place on plate.
10. Serve and enjoy!