Scalloped Potatoes Layered With Asparagus and Sautéed Onion
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 clove garlic
1 bunch of asparagus, fibrous ends removed and cut into bit sized pieces
2 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
2/3 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 bay leaves
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. In a skillet, sauté onions in olive oil until they are softened; about 8 minutes.
2. Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a deep glass baking dish (approximately 8” x 11”) spread the onions evenly on the bottom of the dish.
4. Spread the asparagus over the sautéed onions.
5. In a bowl combine the mozzarella cheese with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
6. Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in a fan style layer over the asparagus. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the potato layer. Repeat two more times with the remaining potatoes and cheese.
7. In a large saucepan, combine the heavy cream nutmeg, bay leaves and sea salt and pepper. Bring to a quick boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 5-8 minutes on low to combine flavors. Remove bay leaves.
8. Pour cream mixture over potatoes.
9. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the top begins to brown.
10. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-8 minutes.
11. Serve and enjoy!