Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Smothered Chicken
"The fresh basil & sun dried tomatoes add such wonderful flavor to the
cream sauce. This dish re-heats well; although there are rarely any leftovers!"
1 ½ - 2 pounds (6-7) boneless, skinless chicken tenders
3 tablespoons olive oil (divide between chicken and onion)
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
1 small shallot, chopped finely
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (I prefer oil packed but dry will also work.)
1/2 cup fresh basil, loosely chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Note: You can serve this over pasta, rice or alongside a vegetable.
1. Season chicken with ground pepper and oregano.
2. In a large skillet, sauté chicken tenders in olive oil until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan, cover and set aside.
3. Add onion and shallots to the pan, sauté over medium heat until onions soften.
4. Add garlic and sun dried tomatoes to the pan; sauté for a minute longer.
5. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir. Immediately add the chicken broth to the pan, stirring as you go.
6. Pour cream into mixture, mix and bring to a low simmer. Sauce should begin to thicken.
7. Add chicken and fresh basil to the pan, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes more.
8. Serve and enjoy!