Mediterranean Shepard’s Pie
A friend was sharing with me that her mom's go-to recipe was Shepard's Pie; and that her job was to mash the potatoes. She also shared that it had become one of her least favorite meals. I was inspired to re-vamp the recipe, put a healthy twist on it, and not lose the comfort food feel or flavor! According to my friend, I succeeded.
|"A twist on the traditional Shepard's Pie; rice, |
zucchini, feta and fresh tomato fill each spoonful of this dish!"
1 1/2 pounds ground meat, (beef, turkey or lamb)
1 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons oregano
1 Tbs. parsley
2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 cups rice, cooked
Sea salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
2. In a skillet, cook meat thoroughly. Drain.
3. Add onion, oregano and parsley to the meat and sauté until the onions soften; about 4-5 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
5. Spread meat mixture over the bottom of a glass baking dish.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the feta cheese over the meat mixture.
7. Layer the zucchini rounds over the meat mixture.
8. Spread tomatoes over the zucchini layer.
9. Spoon rice over zucchini layer; lightly press down.
10. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of feta cheese over the rice.
11 . Bake for 20-25 minutes.
12. Serve and enjoy!