Pear and Walnut Pearl Barley
Pearl barley is a great option for a hearty and flavor packed side for your entree. It has definitely become a key grain of mine when creating recipes. This dish has great texture ~ crunchy walnuts and warm soft pears (yum) in a bed of barley. Each bite is full of flavor; a nice change from rice for a side dish.
|"The healthy pearl barley is enhanced by the |
crunchy walnuts, warm pear and seasonings!"
1 cup pearl barley
2 1/4 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 1/2 cup fresh pear, cored and chopped into 1/2" pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add pearl barley, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
2. When pearl barley has 10 minutes left to cook, begin the next step.
3. In a skillet sauté walnuts in olive oil for 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
5. Sprinkle parsley, basil, and rosemary over the mixture. Add pears and give a quick stir. Remove from heat.
6. Add nut mixture to the pearl barley and toss with a fork to combine ingredients.
7. Serve and enjoy!