Sausage, Onion and Peppers Stuffed Bread
Football season it in full gear! This stuffed bread can be made ahead; just pop in the oven and it's ready for halftime. Not a football fan ~ no worries. Serve as an appetizer, afternoon snack, or just because it's delicious!
"Great appetizer for the football game or just because."
You may also enjoy Spinach & Feta Stuffed Bread
1 package refrigerated bread dough
1 pound ground sausage (mild or spicy)
1 1/2 cup cheddar or Colby cheese, shredded
1 cup onion, loosely chopped
1/2 cup green, red or mixed peppers, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a large skillet cook the ground sausage until done. Drain off excess fat.
2. Add onions and peppers to the pork and saute until the onions soften (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside.
3. Unroll bread dough and stretch until it is 1/4" thick.
4. Spread meat mixture over dough (it does not need to be perfectly even). Be sure to leave a 1” border on each of the long sides of the dough, and 2” border on one of the short sides.
5. Sprinkle cheese over mixture.
6. Roll dough starting at the short side of the dough without the border towards the side that you’ve left a 2” border. The dough can be loosely rolled. Be sure to pinch the ends as you go.
7. Place the loaf, seam side down on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut loaf on the diagonal to serve.