Creamy Zucchini and Mushroom Bake
With the holidays right around the corner, tasty side dishes have been on my mind. The fresh zucchini, mushrooms and onion are lightly sauteed to enhance their flavor but keep their texture. Once baked the rich cream, seasoned with nutmeg and cinnamon, blankets the vegetables for a delicious side to any meal.
|“The hint of nutmeg and cinnamon hits this one out of the park!”|
INGREDIENTS:2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved then sliced
4-5 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup cheese, grated (Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gruyere)
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 Tbs. olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. In a large skillet, sauté onions in olive oil until they soften (about 5 minutes.)
2. Add the mushrooms and zucchini; sprinkle with the nutmeg, cinnamon and black pepper. Sautee for about 4-5 minutes. You do not want the zucchini to become mushy.
3. Sprinkle flour over mixture and gently mix. Pour in whipping cream and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
4. Pour mixture into an 8” x 10” glass baking dish.
5. Sprinkle cheese over the top
6. Toss breadcrumbs with olive oil then sprinkle them over the cheese.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
8. Let mixture cool for 5 minutes before serving.
9. Serve and enjoy!