Avocado and Fresh Tomato Breakfast Casserole
When I moved to California I discovered avocados. My first introduction was guacamole and I was instantly hooked. My friend has an avocado tree so I am fortunate to get fresh picked avocados quite regularly! In this casserole, the creaminess of the avocado and sweetness of the tomatoes combine with the light egg mixture for a fresh, tasty breakfast casserole. For those who like a zip ~ serve with a side of your favorite salsa.
|"A California style breakfast casserole ~ fresh avocado, tomato and eggs|
combine with creamy cottage cheese on a base of shredded potatoes."
1 package frozen shredded potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4-5 medium tomatoes seeded and chopped (or 1 container cherry tomatoes cut in half)
2 avocados, sliced
1 16 oz. container cottage cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a 9×13 pan; combine the potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to mix well.
2. Gently press the potatoes to form a crust in the bottom of the pan.
3. Place avocado slices evenly over the bottom of the pan. Follow with chopped tomatoes, then dollop the cottage cheese over the casserole. (Reserve a few avocado slices and tomato pieces for garnish).
4. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture over casserole.
5. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Check for doneness by pressing gently in the center of the casserole; eggs should be firm but take care to not over-bake.
7. Plate, garnish with avocado and tomato.
8. Serve and enjoy!