Fresh Basil and Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
|"Each bite is full of fresh flavors and gooey mozzarella, |
baked to perfection."
2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped
Sea salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs, scrambled
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
5 fresh multigrain bread slices, chopped
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced
8-10 fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, onion, mushrooms and garlic.
2. Sprinkle parsley, oregano, sea salt and pepper over mixture; mix well.
3. Pour in eggs and add tomatoes and bread; gently combine to evenly distribute all ingredients.
4. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Gently press out meat mixture into a rectangle about 1+” thick (approximately 14” x 16”).
5. Place half of the mozzarella slices and basil leaves down the center of the loaf. Using the parchment paper, gently fold one side of the loaf over the center to cover the cheese and basil.
6. Place the remaining mozzarella slices and basil leaves on top of the side you just folded over. Again, using the parchment paper, gently fold the remaining side up to cover the cheese and basil leaves. Press ends and seam to seal.
7. Bake for 1 hour.
8. Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to sit for 15 minutes before cutting.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Note: This recipe makes quite a large loaf. It freezes well after baking!