Roasted Tomatoes Stuffed with Feta and Spinach
One of my most favorite foods is spanakopita. So light, flaky and fabulous! Fresh roasted tomatoes are also a favorite so I thought... why not combine them. This recipe starts with a vine ripened tomato, you then fill it with fantastic filling from my spanakopita recipe and roast to bring out the sweetness in the tomato and the richness of the filling. Serve as a delicious appetizer, lunch, or dinner. (They can be prepared ahead of time too ~ very convenient.)
|"Each bite is a fabulous combination of creamy|
baked feta and roasted tomato sweetness."
8 large or 12 medium tomatoes
1 lb. fresh spinach (or 1 16 oz. package of frozen spinach)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
2 eggs plus 2 yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsps. Parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
1. If using fresh spinach, steam it until wilted. Loosely chop. If using frozen spinach, defrost completely and drain well.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil; add spinach to the skillet and cook until dry (the majority of the water needs to evaporate for best results).
3. Remove skillet from heat allow mixture to cool.
4. In a large bowl gently mix together eggs, cheese, salt, nutmeg, parsley.
5. Add the cooled spinach mixture into the bowl and toss to mix ingredients.
6. For each tomato, remove core with a paring knife then hollow out meat and seeds with melon baller. Take care not to perforate skin.
7. Stuff each tomato with spinach and cheese mixture.
8. Place tomatoes on sheet pan.
9. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes (depending on tomato size); filling will rise and start to brown.
10. Serve and enjoy!