Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese ~ how can you possibly go wrong with that combination! I started with a classic dish, added Gruyere cheese and bacon to bring a richness to the dish, then folded in delicious butternut squash for added texture and flavor. Each bite is fabulous ~ a definite hit.
"The Gruyere cheese & bacon add just the right touches; rich and delicious!
1 Tbs. olive oil
3-3 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 cups butternut squash cubes (1/2” cubes)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 Tbs. flour
2 cups Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
6-8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Cook pasta according to package al dente directions. Drain, toss with oil and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, add heavy cream, butternut squash and white pepper. Cook over medium low heat for 15-18 minutes; squash will soften.
3. Sprinkle in flour; be sure to stir well.
4. Add Gruyere cheese and bacon to pan; stir and heat until cheese is melted (2-3 minutes).
5. Remove from heat and add the elbow pasta. Gently stir to combine all ingredients well.
6. Pour into a casserole pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Sprinkle panko bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!