Southwestern Rice and Black Bean Casserole
Although my Mediterranean Rice Pilaf is a favorite side when entertaining; I decided to create a rice side that could also be a main dish for our vegetarian friends. Chock full of fabulous flavors inspired by the Southwest, this casserole hit the mark. It's colors and texture make for a beautiful presentation; the fresh corn, beans, peppers and rice also combine for fabulous flavor, bite after bite!
|"Chock full of fabulous flavors inspired by the Southwest!"|
4 cups cooked brown rice (or your favorite)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 Tbs. cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup red and orange peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cups frozen/fresh corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbs. jalapeno, seeded and diced
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, peppers, corn, black beans, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Gently toss to ensure ingredients combined.
3. Add 1/2 of the cheese, toss again.
4. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper over rice. Using a fork, gently fluff to coat evenly.
5. Add rice to bean mixture. Gentle mix to combine ingredients.
6. Pour mixture into a 8 1/2" x 11” glass baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!