Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas with Green Chili Sauce
The combination of fresh veggies, flavorful black beans, and healthy shredded chicken make for a fabulous enchilada dish. By using a green chili sauce instead of a traditional red; all the flavors of each ingredient are able to shine. It's a sure hit!
"Fresh ingredients and the green chili enchilada sauce
make for a light~flavor packed meal!"
3 chicken breasts, shredded
2 ears fresh corn
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can (4 oz.) green chilies
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) green chili enchilada sauce
4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
18 taco sized corn tortillas
4 Tbs. olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Bake chicken in a covered glass dish for 40 minutes. Cool and shred. Set aside.
2. Using a sharp knife; remove corn kernels from the ears of corn.
3. In a large bowl; combine corn, red onion, garlic, black beans, and green chilies. Mix well.
4. Add cilantro, cumin and jalapeno. Mix to combine the seasonings throughout the mixture.
5. Add tomatoes and shredded chicken. Mix again.
6. Lightly brush tortillas with oil. In a large skillet on high heat, sauté tortillas to lightly toast. (About 30 seconds on each side).
7. Spray the bottom of a glass 8 1/2" x 11” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Cover the bottom of the dish with 6 tortillas.
9. Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
10. Pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the chicken mixture.
11. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the sauce.
12. Repeat steps 8-11.
13. Top the casserole with the remaining 6 tortillas.
14. Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas.
15. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole.
16. Cover with aluminum foil. (Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray so it does not stick to the cheese.)
17. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes; the cheese will begin to brown.
18. Serve and enjoy!