Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
If you're looking for a great make-ahead appetizer or side dish, this is it! First, saute up a flavorful filling loaded with sausage, onions and the perfect combo of seasonings (or turkey sausage if you prefer). Stuff your zucchini boats and bake. Super delicious every time!
6-8 medium zucchini
1/2 lb. sausage
1 small onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Cut the stems off of the zucchini. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, gently core zucchini leaving a 1/4" edge. Keep the core.
2. In a large skillet; sauté the zucchini core, sausage and onion until the sausage is cooked through. Drain.
3. Put the sauté mixture into a large bowl. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over mixture. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, toss again.
4. Sprinkle 2 cups of mozzarella cheese over the mixture; toss to combine.
5. Using a spoon, fill each of the zucchini halves with the mixture.
6. Place stuffed zucchini in a glass baking dish. Fill dish with 1/4" of water.
7. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese over the tops of the zucchini.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!