Peppered Salami and Havarti Stuffed Chicken Breast
|"The Peppered salami smothered in Havarti cheese |
makes each bite a treat!"
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbs. olive oil
Peppered salami, (12 1/4" slices off of a chub or 16 pre-sliced in a package)
4 slices Havarti cheese (approximately 4” x 5”)
1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
2 onion slices (1/2” thick)
Fresh ground pepper
1 egg, scrambled
4 tablespoons bread crumbs (I prefer Panko; gluten free skip this step)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Lay each chicken breast on a cutting board and slice across to form a “pocket” (as you would slice a hamburger roll). Season inside of breast with fresh ground pepper, to taste.
2. In a large skillet over medium low heat; lightly sauté salami, red peppers and onion slices. Cook for 2-3 minutes; until onions and peppers begin to soften. Be sure to keep onion slices intact; you will cut each in half after cooking to place in breast.
3. Open each breast and lay 1/2 slice of the Havarti cheese on the breast.
4. Lay salami on top of the cheese.
5. Lay 1/2 of one onion slice over the salami.
6. Lay the other 1/2 slice of Havarti over the onion.
7. Close the breast and secure with two toothpicks.
8. Place breasts in glass baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
9. Brush egg over each breast then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs onto each breast. (Gluten free skip this step)
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and let sit for 3-4 minutes. Place on cutting board, remove toothpicks, carefully slice into three strips and place on plate.
12. Serve & Enjoy!